Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. And while my summer was chock-full of delicious, healthy recipes, like Cauliflower Brownies and Ice Cream, the changing of the season has me craving some of my favorite fresh fall ingredients. Now, I know, it’s only the beginning of September and we technically have a few weeks of summer left to enjoy. But, with the bounty of fall harvest just around the corner, can you blame me for dreaming of seasonal produce, like juicy pomegranates, peppery radicchio and velvety pumpkin? What’s my favorite, healthy fall recipe? Creamy Yellow Squash Soup.
I’ve always believed that nothing encompasses the uniquely delectable flavors of autumn quite like a squash soup. Rich. Hearty. Comforting. It’s like a warm hug for your taste buds. And while you might be tempted to open a can, or box, of soup for dinner, my recipe for Creamy Yellow Squash Soup is simple enough to make for a weeknight meal.
While most creamy soups get their consistency from, well, cream, this dairy free version uses a secret ingredient—rolled oats—to create a thick, smooth texture. Minced shallots add the perfect kick of acidity to the soft flavors of the squash. I always top it off with parsley for extra freshness.
Follow along below as I walk you through this recipe step-by-step, and be sure to share your favorite fall recipe in the comments!
CREAMY YELLOW SQUASH SOUP
Nothing warms the body (and soul), quite like an aromatic autumn soup! Making this recipe on the Bosch Induction Cooktop is simple, and guarantees a luscious, yet healthier, meal that won’t disappoint.
3.5 pounds of yellow squash, roughly chopped
2 ounces shallots, minced
1.5 quarts vegetable stock
6 tablespoons rolled oats
1 ounce parsley, chopped
- Sauté shallots in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until soft. Add squash, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir in enough stock to barely cover vegetables. Reserve remaining stock if needed.
- Add oatmeal. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- In batches, puree in a blender until smooth, adding more reserved stock if soup is too thick. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve: ladle soup into warm bowls, top with chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
With only five simple ingredients you can indulge in a healthier version of this comforting soup! Check out this video to follow along as I show you how to make this dish, step by step.
Danny Seo is a brand ambassador for Bosch home appliances. For more inspiring ideas to live a healthier, natural lifestyle, visit DannySeo.com. Danny’s new cookbook, Naturally Delicious, is available now.