If you’ve read my previous posts on A Modern Haven, it should come as no surprise that I’m passionate about eating seasonally. From juicy summer melons to crunchy Brussel sprouts in the fall, I always look forward to scouring my local farmer’s market for the season’s most bountiful produce. And when it comes to the holidays, what better way to celebrate the season with friends and family than a delicious, and easy, recipe? Perhaps one featuring one of my favorite winter vegetables: sweet potatoes. Read on to learn how to make my – Sweet Potato Croquettes with Chive Aioli.
No matter what the celebration, these bite-sized gems have always been a crowd pleaser—there’s just something about the mild, nutty flavor of sweet potatoes paired with the creaminess of a chive aioli. And, because these croquettes are baked, and not fried, my friends and family tend to feel a little bit better about eating these appetizers.
Best of all, this recipe is easy to make – especially when using the Bosch Slide-In Gas Range. The burner on the gas range covers 18,000 BTUs to help quickly boil the sweet potatoes. And because these croquettes are so popular, I always like to make multiple batches so that I have enough pieces to offer my guests. Not only does the oven portion of the Bosch Slide-In Gas Range deliver impeccable baking capabilities, but the large capacity allows you to cook multiple trays of croquettes all at once. Finally, the warming drawer portion does a fantastic job of keeping your food warm and ready to serve—something that comes in handy when you have multiple courses over an evening.
Eager to try the recipe for yourself? Watch this video to learn more, or follow the recipe below.
Baked Sweet Potato Croquettes with Chive Aïoli
Makes 20 Croquettes and ½ Cup Aïoli
For The Croquettes
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup fresh goat cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 to 2½ cups gluten-free bread crumbs
For The Aïoli
1 large egg yolk
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice,
or more to taste
¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Make the croquettes. Place the sweet potatoes in a medium pot with cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Cover the pot and bring to a boil on your Bosch Slide-In Range.. Reduce the heat to low, place the lid askew, and simmer until the potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain, return the potatoes to the pot, and let cool.
- Preheat the oven of your Bosch Slide-In Range Bosch Slide-In Range to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, use a fork to mash together the sweet potatoes, the egg, goat cheese, parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley, and ¾ cup bread crumbs. The mixture should be a little sticky but firm enough to hold together; mix in more bread crumbs, if needed.
- Place 1 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Scoop out tablespoon-size croquettes and form into patties with your hands. Dredge both sides of the croquettes in the bread crumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the croquettes for 15 minutes; flip and cook for another 15 minutes.
- While the croquettes are baking, make the accompanying aïoli. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. While whisking continually, slowly stream in the canola oil, followed by the olive oil. Stir in the chives. Taste and season with a bit more salt or lemon juice, if needed.
Now if that doesn’t have your mouth watering, I don’t know what will! I’d love to hear how your Sweet Potato Croquettes turn out – let me know in the comments!