They say pizza is one of America’s favorite foods. Are you surprised? I’m sure not! Pizza represents the perfect marriage of flavors and texture. Melty dollops of cheese, tangy tomato sauce, tidbits of teared basil leaves, all piled on top of a crispy and crunchy crust. Is your mouth watering yet?
And, while I’m all about the classic Margherita pizza, my team and I developed an amazing White Vegan Pizza that rocked the winter issue of my magazine, Naturally, Danny Seo. It’s so delicious, I simply cannot wait to share it with you and my friends at Bosch.
The ingredient list for this reinvented pizza recipe might surprise you! By using one of my favorite nuts, cashews, we create a creamy, vegan, ricotta-like texture that pairs perfectly with the slightly bitter flavor of fennel and some sweet and crunchy white asparagus.
I suggest a few of my favorite toppings in the recipe below, but I’m curious as to what delicious, Farmer’s Market produce you will choose to enhance this dish. Let me know in the comments section!
And, be sure to check out my step-by-step overview of this recipe in the video below. Added bonus? You can see why I’m so passionate about using the ergonomic Bosch SideOpening Wall Oven for my baking needs!
Danny Seo’s White Vegan Pizza
Makes: 2 large pizza, or 4 small pies
Vegan Dough Ingredients
1 ¼ cup warm filtered water, divided
1 tablespoon dry active yeast
1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
3 ¼ cup unbleached bread flour, divided
½ cup olive oil, plus more for oiling the bowl
1 tablespoon sea salt
2/3 cup semolina, more for pizza peel
Cashew Ricotta Ingredients
1 cup cashews, soaked
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon miso
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ to ½ cup water, as needed
Pizza Topping Ingredients
2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced thinly
1 bunch white asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons truffle oil (optional)
Vegan Dough Directions
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, placing pizza stone (if using) onto oven rack.
- Add ¼ cup warm water, yeast, maple syrup and ¼ cup flour into small bowl and mix to combine. Allow the mixture to sit in a warm location for 15 minutes, or until frothy.
- Add yeast mixture to stand mixer with dough hook attachment along with olive oil, salt, and semolina. While the mixer is on, keep adding dough in ½ cup increments until the dough bounces back and does not stick to the sides of the mixer bowl (alternatively, knead by hand for 8 to 10 minutes).
- Add the dough to an oil-brushed bowl, and cover. Allow to rise for 30 minutes in a warm location.
Cashew Ricotta Directions
- Add the cashews, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, miso, salt, and oil to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is combined, but still retains some texture. If needed, drizzle in some water to thin mixture into a “ricotta” consistency.
Pizza Toppings Directions
- Divide dough into 2 to 4 smaller balls. Flour surface and a rolling pin, and roll out each portion of dough into a ¼ inch thick circle.
- Line pizza peel with semolina, lie rolled out dough onto peel, and place dollops of ‘ricotta’ onto the pizza and scatter around pieces of fennel and white asparagus. Slide into the Bosch SideOpening Wall Oven onto pizza stone (if using), or parchment-lined baking tray.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until crust is golden. Remove from oven, cut into slices, and drizzle with truffle oil, if using. Make additional pizzas with remainder of ingredients.
- Serve hot.
Danny Seo is a brand ambassador for Bosch home appliances. For more inspiring ideas to live a healthier, natural lifestyle, visit DannySeo.com.