A new year. A chance to reset. To go back to the basics. To slow down, pause, and reflect upon your goals for the year ahead. And while New Year’s Resolutions are often difficult to keep, the changing of the calendar is a nice reminder to reevaluate and focus on the things that matter most to you. For me, this means making more time for family and friends, while also making time for one of my favorite hobbies—preparing healthier recipes.
I truly believe that nourishing friends and family with delicious, healthy meals made of fresh, seasonal ingredients is one of the best ways to show others that you care about them. And with winter in full swing, I’m eager to show my care with warm, comfort food.
But, I don’t want to make just any comfort food. I want something that highlights the very best fruits and vegetables of the season. As they say, “live in the now.”
That’s when I turned to the Bosch culinary team. Our amazing team of expert Chefs spends their time not only hosting a variety of guests at our beautiful showroom, but also creating delicious, healthier recipes for our guests to prepare in the Bosch kitchen. One of their favorite meals to cook this winter features some of the best items available in the produce aisle this month: pomegranates, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash.
Sweet, slightly tart, and juicy pomegranates really shine when paired with a more savory vegetable, like shallots, and this unexpected flavor combination make for a wonderful addition to hearty proteins. Our Chef’s recipe for Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Pomegranate Glazed Shallots is perfect for serving friends and family after an afternoon of winter activities—from skiing and ice skating, to even a cozy day by the fire.
And while Brussels sprouts were once “misunderstood,” these miniature green gems are certainly the vegetable du jour. Our culinary team’s recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash is so simple, incredibly satisfying, and the addition of pumpkin seed oil drizzle takes this dish to a whole new level.
Follow along below for step by step healthy recipes you can easily make tonight.
ROASTED BEEF TENDERLOIN WITH POMEGRANATE GLAZED SHALLOTS
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
1 beef tenderloin center cut roast (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
Pomegranate Glazed Shallots:
1/2 pound shallots, peeled, trimmed, cut into quarters lengthwise
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- Brush beef tenderloin roast with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place roast on Broiling Pan fitted with Grill Insert and insert Probe into center of largest end of roast.
- Place Pan on Rack Position 2 in Bosch Benchmark Wall Oven; insert probe jack and roast tenderloin on Convection Roast Oven Mode at 400°F until desired doneness. Remove roast to carving board; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Pomegranate Glazed Shallots. In large saucepan add shallots, sugar, salt, pepper, juice and vinegar; stir to combine. Place saucepan on center element of Bosch 800 Series or Benchmark Induction Cooktop; bring shallot mixture to a boil using SpeedBoost function. Reduce heat to level 6 to 7; simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until shallots are for tender and liquid has reduced by half. Reduce heat to level 1; whisk in butter and keep warm.
- Carve beef tenderloin roast against the grain into 1/2 inch thick slices; transfer to serving platter. Spoon Pomegranate Glazed Shallots over beef and garnish with pomegranate arils.
ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Total Recipe Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Makes 4 servings
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
2 cups peeled, seeded butternut squash, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
Pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- Preheat Bosch Benchmark Wall Oven on Convection Bake mode at 400°F.
- In medium bowl add Brussels sprouts, squash, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil; toss to coat.
- Spoon vegetables onto a sheet pan in a single layer; place sheet pan in oven on rack position 3.
- Roast vegetables 20 to 25 minutes or until fork tender and lightly browned; stirring occasionally.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven and transfer to serving bowl; drizzle with pumpkin seed oil if desired.
Happy 2017, A Modern Haven readers! On behalf of the entire Bosch team, we wish you a happy and healthy year ahead, filled with cherished memories with friends, family, and food. Tell us in the comments below what healthy recipe you’ll be preparing this winter.